History

On December 19, 1868 Joshua Lawrence Bowden married Patience Jane Yelventon. At that time, what is now Justice was just a patch of woods. In their early married life, Lawrence became a merchant, farmer, sawmill, grist mill, cotton gin operator. In his store the Post Office was located and Jane was Postmistress; and it was Jane Bowden who gave the name Justice to the Post Office because of her regard to others. In the year 1911 Justice Post Office closed.

Around 1900 Justice was a busy settlement. Settlers moving in were involved in community activites forming schools, churches, and various organizations such as the Tomato Club. Also during this era the first monument in the county was dedicated "to our confederate dead". In 1921 Edward Best High School was in operation, and in 1963 Justice Elementary School was combined with White Level Elementry School to form Edward Best Elementary.

One of the highlights of our community is the fire department. While Mrs. Bob May's home was burning on Christmans Day 1958, Robert Sutton, argicultural teacher, and local men agreed that a local rural fire departent was greatly needed. On May 12th, 1959, Justice was incorporated as the first Rural Volunteer Fire Department in Franklin County. In October 1959 our first new fire truck was purchased. The fire truck was kept in the garage at the parsonage during the winter 1959-60. The fire house garage was built in the spring of 1960. Several years later as the debts were paid, the dining and kitchen area was added.

Through cooperation and generosity the community people raised money through the annual fire supper which brought about much enthusiasm and the building of the BBQ pit in 1974 with storage area on end of shelter. Another asset of the fire departent is having hospital beds for public use when available.

Past, present, and future of Justice Community lies in the spirit and leadership of its people.